Thursday, January 21, 2016

A Day in the Life

Peace Corps life is constantly changing and every day is different (but can still feel monotonous sometimes).  I'm slowly learning that there is nearly always more than one answer to even the simplest of questions.

So, here's a checklist of events that may happen on a sort of typical day.

Morning
  • Wake up to the lurking shadow of Canelita at my bedroom door
  • Open bedroom door, catch Canela as she dashes inside my room, take her into the kitchen to feed her breakfast.
  • Take Canela's food out of the freezer (the only successful way to protect it from the evil biting ants) and fill her bowl.
When school is out of session
  • Change out of pajamas and into house clothes (skirt and t-shirt) and cook breakfast (toast with jam and a cup of tea)
  • Open front door to potential visitors
  • Start checking email and whatsapp
  • Migrate outside to my hammock once the sun shifts off the porch with my sewing or a book and a glass of water
  • Get surprised by a parade or other celebration
  • Fireworks
  • Get mad at the chickens for pooping all over the porch and then immediately miss my Grandpa and his chicken sounds
  • Prima knocking on my bedroom window to offer me breakfast

When school is in session

  • Get dressed in school clothes (dress pants, collared button up shirt, and ballet flats), try to arrive at school by 7am
  • Say good morning (Buenas) to everyone I see on my short walk to school.  
  • Try to get the elongation of those vowels just right (Buuuueeeenaaaasss).
  • Avoid horse poop in the street
  • Arrive at school to bright excited student faces shouting "Teacher!" or "Kary"
  • Participate in the acto civico on Monday mornings (a weekly school assembly that takes the place of first period) where we sing the Panamanian national anthem and get the school news for the week
  • Say good morning to all the teachers, the principal, assistant principals, and secretaries
  • Buy an empananda or two (fried ground corn tortilla  stuffed with seasoned pulled chicken) from the kiosko (small store that sells snacks, candy, and coffee) at school
  • Head to the teacher's lounge or check my excel sheet of my English teacher counterparts' schedules to see what class they're teaching
  • Spend the morning in the classroom with my teachers or in the teachers' lounge helping them with other projects

Afternoon
  • Have lunch at school (potential meals include: fried hot dogs and rice, rice and pollo guisado-stewed chicken)
  • Cook lunch (canned soup or a PBJ sandwich)
  • Play with Canela
  • Read or sew in my hammock until the heat of the day passes
  • Visit with Prima or Loli
  • Fireworks
  • Pasear around my community (go for a walk and visit with my neighbors)
  • Buy a duro (like a popsicle, but homemade in clear plastic bags)  popular flavors include Koolaid (usually purple), piña con arroz (pineapple with rice), and coco (coconut)
  • Prima calling into my house to offer lunch or coming over to give me food like Platano Asado (roast plantain), pesado de nance (like applesauce, but thicker and made from nance), or fruit from their garden, like naranjilla (a cross between an orange and a lemon), naranjas (oranges), platanos (plantains)
Evening
  • Cook dinner (pasta with ginger and garlic cooked in soy sauce and a salad with homemade vinaigrette is a popular choice these days)
  • Prima calling into my house to offer dinner
  • Eating dinner with Prima and family
  • Shower (cold water feels so good after a day in the heat)
  • Give Canela dinner
  • Fireworks
  • Check that my hammock is tied up (to prevent random people from sleeping in it, a phenomenon my neighbors assure me is a possibility) 
  • Lock up the house for the night
  • Finish dishes for the day and double check that all the stove burners are off
  • Get my headlamp and pick Canela up, shut the lights off in the house and kiss Canela goodnight
  • Shake my sheets out and check my pillow for spiders and scorpions
  • Check my datebook and calendar for the next day
  • Shut the lights off in my room and read until I fall asleep

Other things
  • Wash laundry about once every two weeks
  • Mop out the entire house with bleach about once a month
  • Take the garbage out on Monday mornings
  • Go to Santiago to facilitate LDGE (University level English classes about leadership) at the university with other volunteers
  • Play with the neighborhood kids.  Chess is a current favorite.  Ultimate frisbee has some solid potential.
  • Facilitate youth camps with other volunteers
  • Teach community English classes
  • Try to develop a literacy program/children's library
  • Head to Santiago to run errands, have meetings, grocery shop, or meet up with Roxana and Kelly to hang out and talk about our lives
  • Write letters
  • Adventure to the Post office in Santiago (usually about once every two weeks)
  • Write lessons and seminars, plan projects
  • Listen to the pigeons running relay races across my roof and roosters crowing at all hours of the day
  • Listen to the sound of rain hitting my tin roof (it drowns out all other noise and conversation)
  • Stage personal dance parties (or musicals), sometimes with Canelita as my dance partner and co-star



Blogging Abroad's Boot Camp Blog Challenge: Starting January 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment