Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Feeling Inspired by Peace Corps' "The One Thing I Couldn't Leave Behind Was..."

I'm from a small town where people don't really leave.  I didn't want to leave either...until my 11th grade English teacher made me believe I could.  Then "getting out" became all I could think about.  Became the thing that I wanted most and dreaded most.

The night before I left for college (located a whopping 300 miles from the only home I'd ever known) I hung out with my friends in the 24-hour supermarket (yeah, that's right, in the supermarket-suburban kids know how to party) and the diner, and just generally drove around, relishing the last moments of having regular access to a car, soaking in all of the familiarity and warmth of those friendships before I left on my new adventure.

Most of that night (turned to day) has faded from memory, but one moment that has remained was when my friend Greg gave me two little plastic troll-monsters that he bought from one of the gumball machines at the supermarket as a going away present.

                                                           Blue Buddies in Panama

These two little creatures have lived on my dresser for the past 8 years (currently accompanied by a bunch of shells I found on a beach in Cocle, a peace crane made out of a post-it by another volunteer, and the tiniest sombrero pintado).  In the past 8 years I've moved around alot, but I still think that first move to my college dorm room was the biggest one.

A week before I left for Peace Corps I met up with Greg and two other friends for dinner in New York City.  That night Greg gave me a disposable camera.  I kept it safe in one of my bags through the whirlwind of training until I finally got to site 3 months into service.

At which point I kicked myself for not opening it sooner.  It has 27 exposures, one for every month of this adventure.

So, that's my new art project, one photo every month for the next 23 months to be developed when I COS (Close Of Service).

Más ahora I'll finish the entries about embroidery, time, and gender adventures.

Hasta Pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment