Wednesday, July 29, 2015

5 Month Pana-versary!

As of last Saturday I have been in Panama for 5 months of my 27 month service.  I really can't believe how quickly--and slowly--the time has gone; it's much more wibbly-wobbly than I thought it would be.

I handed in my SECNA paper, a whopping 9.5 pages, and now I'm preparing for the presentation of my report to my counterparts, community members, and Peace Corps staff.  It's a few weeks away, but I know it'll be here in a blink.

Soon I'll be moving into my own place and I'm so excited to be able to cook for myself and generally have more space.

Tragically, the screen on my Kindle broke the other day, so I'm back to feeding my addiction with paperback books.  This is potentially a necessary break as I was reading a paperback soon after my Kindle's demise and tapped a completed page to go to the next one and was momentarily confused as to why the page didn't change.

Site life is going well.  My new counterpart and I (and her 6 year old daughter) are quickly becoming friends.  Her daughter and I spent a few hours the other week flapping around the house pretending to be birds, then explorers (with the aid of some hair dye instructions as a map), then artists who drew lots of pictures of highways and houses.

Upcoming Events

  • SECNA Presentation
  • Moving into my house
  • IST (In Service Training), and the wonderful reunion of G76 for the first time since May
  • Going to the Post Office (it's been closed for about a week)
Finally: A photo of my school's partially constructed float for the Virgen del Carmen Festival.  Yes, those are real flowers.  There were more than 30 floats in the festival and it was a huge 9 day event that involved a lot of fireworks and the very important lesson to never look up when the fireworks explode, but more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment