Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Bring Your Parents to Peace Corps and other April Events

Easter
I spent Easter in site.  My town has a really cool dramatization of the Passion of the Christ.  They set up a big stage in front of the Church and most of the community turned out to see the performance.  It's typically about 2-3 hours of a stage performance and then they walk around the community to do the Stations of the Cross.  The entire event can last until midnight or 1am.

My friend Roxana came to visit and we went to the show, but we only lasted a few hours, between the event starting "late" (by my estimation, but 2 hours after the announced start time is totally normal here) and my habit of waking up at dawn, my night owl stamina is pretty much gone.


Adventure to the Azuero!
After Easter I went on a short trip to see my friend Tara in Mariato before she finished her service.  It was really fun to see another part of Veraguas.  We made delicious food, played with her cats (who are Canela's mom and sister), and read books in hammocks.

We also went to a cool event called a "Lasso Libre".  There's vaquero (cowboy) culture where Tara lives because people raise cattle there.  Lasso Libre is an event where people try to rope calves from horseback as they run to their mothers out in a field.  The goal is to rope the calf the fastest.  We hung out there for awhile and bought food.

We also paseared to her neighbors and host family.  We ate some delicious sancocho (traditional chicken soup and ñame) and drank some amazing chicha de limon con raspado (lemon juice with sugar cane sugar), and ate espuma (the bubbles that come up when you process sugar cane into sugar), which is like molasses, but lighter.  It's sort of like eating a cross between cotton candy and caramel.

It was a lovely weekend full of food and friends and food and travel.
Road in Tara's town


Site life: Community Class an English Clubs
In site I was teaching a Community English Class and trying to get momentum on two fusion English/Leadership clubs for students.  English class started well I had 16 adult students and I used a curriculum that was developed by a previous group of volunteers.  It was harder to get momentum with the English clubs because the school schedule shifts and my schedule was a little variable with having to be out of site for trainings, so students would forget or I would be gone.  Even with all the logistical struggles, I really love teaching and everyone who came to the clubs and classes had a good time.

Bring Your Parents to Peace Corps
So, I was both really excited and a little nervous to have my parents come visit me in Panamania.  I love my life here, but I knew it would be a little...grittier than previous international travel experiences that they've had and I didn't know how they'd react.

On the appointed day I went to Panama City to pick them up at the airport.  We have fancy IDs that allow us to meet people at the gate, but the process is a little confusing.  Luckily my friend Jody was meeting her parents around the same time (Unofficial Peace Corps Panama Parents Week 2016), so we were able to navigate the process together.  Jody and I split up after we got through security because our parents were arriving at different gates.

When they finally arrived we zipped through immigration and security to get to the hotel.  At the hotel we relaxed for a bit (I took a wonderful, rare hot shower) before going out to dinner at Tantalo in Casco Viejo and then wandering around and getting ice cream before crashing hard.

The next day we woke up early and went to the Canal.  There's a really cool museum at the Miraflores locks.
The Panama Canal

Parents!


After we went to the Canal we grabbed lunch like tourists at the TGI Friday's in Albrook (I was easing them into Panama).  After lunch we went to the Biodiversity Museum, which is a really cool relatively new museum out on the Causeway.

One of the sculptures in the museum
I'm not really a person who takes photos in museums, so that's the only one I have (other than the one that I took of the ellipsoidal lights that were lighting one of the exhibits...I miss theater life).

After the museum we ate dinner and went to sleep early because the next morning we were going to Veraguas :)

We got up early and got on a bus to Santiago.  Four hours later we arrived and I took them to Kandela's (the best fonda, traditional Panamanian restaurant in Santiago) for lunch, did some quick grocery shopping, and then got on another bus to head to my house.

I introduced them to Canela and we went next door and met my neighbors and then made dinner at home.

The next morning we had a quiet breakfast and then went to school so they could meet the English teachers and the rest of the staff and kids.

The students were gardening that day, making flowerpots out of tires

After school we went into Santiago to have lunch with Kelly and Roxana and go grocery shopping because we invited my neighbors to dinner that evening.

My neighbors loved dinner and the next morning they invited us to breakfast before we left for Santa Catalina.

Parents and Neighbors
We ate breakfast and then got on the road for the long trip down to the ocean.

We hiked on the beach and went snorkeling at Coiba.  It was beautiful and really fun.

Sunset at Santa Catalina
Hanging out on the boat

After Santa Catalina we made the long trip back to Panama City.  The next day I took them to the artisan market at 5 de Mayo and then to the airport.  I was sad to see them go, but I think they had a really good time and I loved sharing Panama with them.





No comments:

Post a Comment