Sunday, May 10, 2015

A (Wholly Incomplete) Summary of the Events of the Past 10 Weeks: Part 2

In Part 1 we left our heroine in the middle of the whirlwind of training, anxiously awaiting site placement and desperately trying to remember the difference between gusano and guineo (one means "worm" and the other means "banana").

Part 2

Week 6 
Tech week!  TE traveled to the province of Cocle to work in schools with Panamanian English Teacher counterparts for the week.  The goal was to observe our counterpart’s teaching style, then co-plan a lesson with them, and finally co-teach that lesson.  I had a great time during tech week.  My counterpart was wonderful and it was really fun to be in the wonderful chaos of a classroom again.  We also gave a mock mini-SECNA about the work we did in the schools during tech week.

The night before site placement TE had a hat-themed dinner at a cool restaurant and I won a piece of delicious tres leches cake for my Mad Hatter hat that I made out of construction paper.  On Friday we gathered in Cocle with the training staff and Country Director to find out where everyone (TE and CEC) in G76 was going to be placed for their two years of service. We also met our RLs (Regional Leaders) who are third year volunteers who live in the provincial capital and offer support to volunteers in the individual provinces.  Two other TE friends of mine and I were placed in Veraguas.  We all have our own sites, but we live pretty close to one another.  I’m really excited to visit people once I have the opportunity.  We had a free overnight after site placement, so we all went to a beach to hang out and swim before…

Week 7 
Site Visit!  On Monday we went to Panama City to meet our community guides and talk about expectations and rules and cultural differences, the list goes on.  It was a really great experience and Maria (my Community Guide) is fantastic.  On Tuesday (or Monday night for those that live far away) everyone started their first journey to site to spend a week there.  I love  my site (despite being sick all week and not really being able to enjoy it much).  Everyone at the school was super welcoming and I’m really excited to start working at the end of training.

Week 8 
Back to classes in the Training Community.  The people who are going to (or near) indigenous communities in the Comarca Ngabe-Buble started learning Ngabere.  I really wanted to learn it too because we could audit the class if we wanted to, but I was unfortunately still sick.  Also, one of my wisdom teeth became infected (basically, I was driving the struggle bus).

Week 9 
Last week in the Training Community!  Last week of classes, a language placement exit exam (to be a volunteer in Panama you have to be at Intermediate Medium by the end of training), the presentation of our mock SECNA, and the planning and execution of the despedida (going away party) for our host families.  It was a wild week that flew by. 

The despedida was really fun.  The LCFs (Language and Cultural Facilitators) brought a bunch of tipico clothes for us to borrow for the party.  I ended up wearing a beautiful blue montun (a skirt that is simpler than a polleron) and red tambleques (beautiful beaded flowers that women wear in their hair for celebrations). 

Then it was time for the great battle of fitting all the things I’d accumulated (notebooks and papers and clothes and supplies) into the luggage I initially brought with me.  I won in the end, but my hiking backpack was insanely stuffed and really, really heavy.

Week 10 
All of G76 returned to Ciudad del Saber to stay in the really swanky dorms.  We spent the week finishing up training sessions and other administrative things before swear in that Thursday.  I also had to have that infected wisdom tooth taken out, but due to magic (and probably some mad orthodontic surgeon skills) I never felt any pain and I was absolutely fine by the evening of the day of the procedure. 

The Swearing in Ceremony was really nice.  The training staff came to celebrate with us and the Country Director for Panama, representatives from ANAM and MEDUCA, and one of the US Embassy officers all made remarks.  Two of the trainees from G76 ((one CEC and one TE) also made speeches and it was really moving to hear them speak so eloquently about the craziness of training and our collective hopes for our two years of service.  After Swearing In we had a brief brindis (literally translates to “toast”, but in Panama usually looks more like tapas-style food and chicha—really sweet juice) before we started our weekend of celebrating.  G76 decided to stay in hostels in Panama City to celebrate there together for a few days before heading to our sites.


That brings us to present day.  I just finished moving to site!  More (hopefully) regular updates to follow!

All of my photo-taking technology wasn't functioning well for the majority of training, but please enjoy these cell phone shots from the past few days:

Catedral in Casco Viejeo

Cinta Costera

Gazebo in the Plaza next to the Cathedral

View from a Hammock

No comments:

Post a Comment